All graduation correspondence will be emailed to your campus email box. Please delete old emails often to prevent important undeliverable messages.
Middle Georgia State College graduates students every semester upon completion of their degree or certificate requirements and awards diplomas. Any student graduating during the school year may choose (on their graduation application) to participate in the annual ceremony held at the end of the Spring semester. Please make sure you read the Important Graduation Instructions for the Class of 2013 Commencement Ceremony.
Students planning to graduate must complete the following steps:
- Application for Degree: Students should apply for graduation at least two full semesters before they expect to complete degree requirements, but not later than the application deadlines published in the catalog each year. Failure to complete an application for a degree or certificate at least two semesters in advance may prevent graduation in the anticipated term. Students who do not complete an application until the published application deadline may not be able in that term of enrollment to resolve deficiencies discovered in the degree audit. Applications submitted after the deadline for the term concerned may result in students not being awarded a degree or certificate for the term requested.
- NOTE: Effective Sum 2013 the graduation fee will increase to $35.
Upon completion of the Application for Graduation and the payment of the $30.00 graduation fee to the Business Office, the Registrar’s Office will complete an official audit of the requirements completed, in progress, and required for the degree or certificate and forward that to the student. Students wishing an informal audit of their progress towards graduation may consult with their advisor, or make an appointment with the Registrar’s Office for that purpose. Remember, you must complete the application and pay the required fee to receive an official degree audit and be included as a candidate for graduation.
- Choice of Catalog: Effective Fall 2007 and thereafter, a student must (1) meet graduation requirements using the catalog in effect at the time the student entered Macon State College, provided the catalog is not more than five years old as of the semester the student plans to graduate, OR (2) meet graduation requirements using the catalog in effect during the semester the student plans to graduate.
- Hour and Residency Requirements:
Physical Education - Not required.
History and Constitution - Before being certified as having met all degree requirements, students must have satisfied the Georgia legislative requisites of demonstrating proficiency in U.S. and Georgia history, and U.S. and Georgia Constitutions.
Regents' Test - Test no longer required.
Oral & Technical Competence - In order to receive a degree, students must demonstrate technology and oral competency through one of the following:
- Associate Degree - minimum of 60 semester hours, including core curriculum and major requirements. Applicants must have been enrolled at the College for at least two semesters and have earned at Macon State 20 of the last 30 hours applicable to the degree. Credit earned by examination cannot be applied to the residency requirement.
- Baccalaureate Degree - minimum semester hours defined for your program (122, 127,128 or 129)including a minimum of 39 semester hours of upper division courses overall and 21 semester hours in the major. Applicants must have been enrolled at the College at least two semesters and have earned 30 semester hours, including 21 hours in upper division courses in the major area. Satisfactory completion of upper division work will be reviewed and completion certified by the applicable division chair. Credit earned by examination cannot be applied to the residency requirement. To graduate with honors, a baccalaureate student must have completed at least 60 semester hours of course-work at Macon State College and earn a cumulative institutional GPA of at least 3.5. (reference p.64, 2002-03 catalog for more information)
Graduation Grade Point Average (GPA) - Associate degree candidates must present a minimum cumulative institutional GPA of 2.0 on academic work attempted at Macon State College and a minimum of 2.0 on all courses used to meet graduation requirements. Baccalaureate degree candidates must present an institutional 2.0 GPA on all work attempted at Macon State College.
Non-completion of degree requirements. If you do not complete your degree during the term you specify on your application, your graduation status will be inactivated until you reapply and indicate a new term for degree completion. No additional fee is charged.
- Passing MSCC 1000 or
- Demonstrating oral and technology competence through a designated course approved by the Vice President for Academic Affairs, or
- Passing the the oral competency and technology exam in the Academic Testing Center.